Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Findings

My friend Mark (Pat this is the one you know) needs more prayers. They called in hospice for his dad. I was thinking what a bad day it was yesterday when the stock market basically crashed. Then I thought about the two Marks. Prostate cancer and losing his wife. Now the other prostate cancer and losing his dad. The stock market is now a distant memory and it is such a joy to be alive and I wish both the Marks peace and love.

Today we are doing findings.

Found in a closet:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/04/veil-of-veronica-painting-found-in-closet_n_918880.html?icid=main%7Chp-laptop%7Cdl9%7Csec1_lnk1%7C221050

Found in the deep blue sea:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/08/captain-morgans-ship-found_n_920944.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-nb%7Cdl13%7Csec3_lnk1%7C84472

Found in a small village in Alaska:

http://news.yahoo.com/orange-goo-baffles-remote-alaska-village-080239475.html

Comment Away.

QUOTES

Elizabeth Cady Stanton authored yesterday's quote. "I am determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may find myself. For I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition." - Was said by a first, first born in 1731 and died in 1802. She was one of eight children. Her first marriage was when she was eighteen. Her second marriage was when she married General George when she was 27. After her second husband accepted the position of commander in chief, the woman who loved hearth and home left both to join her husband at military encampments in Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. Mrs.She had a row galley named in her honor. The ship holds the distinction of being the first U.S. military ship to be named in honor of a woman and for a vessel named while the person was still alive. In 1902 she became the first American woman to be honored on a U.S. postage stamp. This 8c issue was printed in black with her portrait surrounded by an elaborate laurel wreath. In 1923, a second stamp was issued in her honor, a 4-cent definitive stamp. The third issue to honor her was issued in 1938, a 1½¢ denomination stamp. She is the only woman whose portrait has appeared on the face of a U.S. currency note. It appeared on the face of the $1 Silver Certificate of 1886 and 1891, and the back of the $1 Silver Certificate of 1896. An 1856 national banknote carried The baptism of Pocahontas on its reverse face. You have enough information now to tell me, who authored today's quote?

8 comments:

Pat said...

Best to both Marks, but esp. the one I know. Hospice is scary when they announce it's time to call it in. But then you have my mom, who is on her third round of hospice and has been kicked out previously because she was too stable. Hospice is wonderful, and I wish they could be there for everyone with problems.

I'm glad the finder is keeping the valuable painting. At least for a while. Wish they'd showed it. The story doesn't say which one, and Wikipedia mentions and shows several.

I will now go and check my closets for paintings I may have overlooked. And will then raise a glass of rum to Captain Morgan's memory.

The orange goo is fascinating. Probably some form of algae. Please post what it is if you happen to see the answer to the mystery.

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I know someone else whose Mother has been in the hospice three or four times. When dad went there they gave him six month, he didn't make it six days. I hope Mark's dad is the former.

There was a follow up to the orange goo this money. It is eggs.
I will post a link in the post tomorrow but her you get it earlier:

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf/story/orange-goo-near-remote-alaska-village-idd/e27ec07227e04ae8a7a0bef09dd9a3ea

I will also see if I can find a view of the painting but they may not be until Friday.

Bill

Lady DR said...

Both Mark's continue in my prayers and I'll add Mark's dad. You're right, these issues tend to put things into perspective.

Fascinating story about the painting. Like Pat, I'd have liked a better picture of it. I'm a bit confused - they only discovered it because someone stole it?

I'll look forward to further information about the orange goo in the Alaskan village. I rather suspect any of the Native American tribe will resent being called Eskimos, rather than leaving it at Inupiut (wry s). Most of the Alaskan Natives will tell you Eskimos only live in Canada.

Lady DR said...

Oops... Inupiat, I think.

Pat said...

Thanks for the link, Bill. Eggs, but whose are they, I wonder? They haven't figured out what species or if they are toxic or not. It's probably a good thing they turn "powdery" when they dry. Easier to clean up, I imagine. What a mystery!

William J. said...

Hi DR

Sorry it took so long to respond but it is really hard to respond at mom's.

When I get home from Mom's I will do more research on the painting to see if I can find anything.

I posted a link on today's entry to a follow up article. It has a little more information but still is a mystery. I never even gave anythough to what the Eskimos like being called. Now I will. It is nice to have someone here with that knowledge. One of the reasons I keep the blog going is I always learn something from you and others.

Bill

William J. said...

Hi DR

Nobody would have know the mistake unless you told us!

Bill

William J. said...

Hi Pat

I do wonder who laid the eggs. Be interesting when more information comes out.

Bill